This is a typical Southern Portugal cake that I tried two Christmas and quite liked as looks simple and tasty. So finally this weekend was the time to try this recipe.
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g sugar
- 100g honey
- 75ml olive oil
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2 tbs cinnamon
- 1/2 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 ground anise grains.
- A bit of butter
- Pre-heat oven at 180C
- Whisk eggs and sugar until double in volume. It takes time doing it by hand!
- Add honey and oil, bit a bit and keep whisking.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder and anise. Mix all well
- Pour the mix in a greased tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes aprox. Use a tooth stick or similar to check the inside is cook before removing from oven.
It raised more than I expected. It wasn’t as moist as I remember but it was tasty. Based on the ingredients reminded me of a olive-Greek cake I did some months ago.
I checked other recipes like this so maybe I will try again at some point.