This week I have had a bit of a struggle with git when trying to develop a change and I was getting constant conflicts when trying to get my branch up to date with main.
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/merging-vs-rebasing: A refresh for merge vs rebase. When I first started with git, the environment was pro rebase. But after that job, all places were pro merge. Somehow I visualize better a rebase. I will start using rebase to see if I really understand.
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/git-diff-and-patch/: That’s how I finally managed to push my change into master. I had a diff generated by my gitlab PR and applied it into master.
https://opensource.com/article/21/4/git-stash: Something I already commented about but hardly used.
https://opensource.com/article/21/3/git-cherry-pick: Never used it but I was reading about this week as I thought was my only way out from the merge conflict nightmare I was in.
Before moving, I went through some piles of papers and found a couple of pieces with the note “Love is not enough”. I am pretty sure they were notes I took from a book of Mark Manson (likely The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck – I need to re-read) And somehow this morning, I got this video in youtube.
Love is not enough:
- Love doesnt equal compatibility: Love is emotional. Compatibility is logical
- Love doesnt solve your relationship problems (amen)
- Love is not always worth sacrificing yourself: Dont tolerate behaviours in your partner that you wouldn’t do with your best friend. A loving relationship is supposed to supplement your individual identity, not damage it or repace it.
The only way you can fully enjoy the love in your life is to choose to make something else more important than love.
Friendship > Love
In my case, I dont really think about love but companionship. I think too many times about that “perfect” companion to go through life (good and bad moments). And then I am very solitary person (it gets worse with age). And then you are not sociable, and many things you read tell you that having a strong social support is critical in mental health, life satisfaction, etc. So it is like in the middle of two paths.
Good concert of NIN.
I watched this video yesterday by coincidence . I was keen to know about making learning addictive. And honestly, I liked the video, it was funny and informative. And it is interesting that you can turn evil manipulations into positive ones. I didnt know the presenter was the founder of duolingo and he was from Guatemala. I use duolingo to learn languages, I am not sure if you can really learn a language this way (at least I am not that smart) but it helps to practice a little, and then the compound interest should get you to some decent level. This remind me to brilliant. It is something I wanted to use, but at the end of the day, I dont have time for all things I would like to do. I need to focus in the things I really need to do.
Pasta con Aglio e Olio:
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500g spaghetti
- Saute the garlic in the olive oil until lightly browned
- Boil spaghetti until al dente
- Drain pasta and toss with oil and garlic mix.
- Add salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
Eggs with tomate:
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 medium/large onion, thinly sliced
- 200g whole plum tomates can
- 4 large eggs
- Warm the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, cook until soft.
- Add tomatoes, crush them with the spoon. Cook for 20 minutes aprox.
- Break the eggs into the pan and cover it. Decrease heat at medium-low.
- Cook until the whites are opaque and the yolks are firm. 5 minutes aprox.
- Add salt/peper.
Book: Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well by Pellegrino Artusi
Spaghetti with lentils
- 1/2 carrot finely chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 stalk of celery chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 165g dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 250g spaghetti
- 350g marinara sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute’ the carrots, onion, celery and garlic in the olive oil over medium-low heat until soft.
- In another medium saucepan, fill it with the lentils, add water until cover them over 1 finger. Simmer and cook until tender. 20 mintes aprox. Remove from heat and set aside
- Break the spaghetti into pieces using a dish towel. Then cook the spaghetti in salted water until al dente.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the vegetables.
- Add the marinata sauce. Bring to simmer, cover and cook until the lentils have blended with the sauce. 10 min aprox.
- Add drained pasta with 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Season with salt/pepper
- Simmer all for 3-5 minutes to combine flavours.
- 5-6 large eggs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- pinch chopped parsley
- pinch grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them with a fork.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil up.
- Season the eggs and add parsly
- Once hot, add the eggs to the pan.
- Scramble the eggs with a spatula, tipping and moving the pan continuously to make sure the eggs dont stick.
- Add cheese and flip the frittata. Cook for 1 minute until golden.
- Guanciale: cured pork cheek
- pecorino cheese
- dried pasta
- Saute fatty, peppery strips of guanciale in a deep saucepan
- Cook pasta al dente.
- Add pasta to the guanciale.
- Turn off heat, add mixed eggs. Toss
- Add cheese and some pasta water.
- Toss all together.
A friend of mine showed me this cards game and really liked it! Although they way we played, the player who “canta” can give the points to any other player, so it is even more fun!
I broke a piece of plastic from a key. I tried to fix it using a match so I could melt the plastic but it didnt work very well. Then I searched how to fix something similar and I found this video. I was amazed what you can do with glue and baking soda! I gave it a go to my problem, although the finish wasnt great, it looks the fix is solid. Will see how long it lasts.
Based on this blog.
link1: lion’s mane mushroom improved brain cell growth and memory in pre-clinical trials.
link2: I didnt know Killifish can regenerate part of their brain. As they age this ability is lost because (like other animals) we tend to accumulate dysfunctional cells with age, called senescent. By using senolytics in old killifish, they were able to restore some of the amazing regenerative abilities.
This week I tried to apply new silicone to the flooring of my bathroom. Initially I watched a video and gave it a go. It was a disaster, I was lucky that I didnt do the whole thing, just one part that is not in direct view, so I managed to clean-up. Using a finger to level the silicone doesnt work for me…..
I kept checking videos and this one was a breakthrough!
In summary, cut your nozzle at the level of your “fungi” so the stream of silicone covers properly. Obviously buy a “fungi” or similar tool for levelling the silicone, dont use the finger, clean properly the old silicone (have white spirit around) and use good silicone.
In my case, I had to cut the nozzle twice as the gaps I needed to cover werent equal all round the floor. So I cut the nozzle for the small gap first, use the chosen fungi length, then cut again the nozzle for the “big” gap, and use again the chosen fungi
Just a reminder
“Every single pursuit – no matter how wonderful and exciting and glamorous it may initially seem – comes with its own brand of shit sandwich, its own lousy side effects. Everything sucks some of the time. You just have to decide what sort of suckage you’re willing to deal with.
So the question is not so much ‘What are you passionate about?’
The question is ‘What are you passionate enough about that you can endure the most disagreeable aspects of the work?’
Because if you love something and want something enough – whatever it is – then you don’t really mind eating the shit sandwich that comes with it.”
- Mark Manson
In a world of comfort one question the most important question to ask yourself is what are you willing to struggle for? You can have the pain of being lazy or the pain of putting an effort into your health and body? Which one will it be?
I received this blog entry and I decided to try Ecosia. A friend commented about it some time a go but never decided to make a move. Sometimes thought to use DuckDuckGo, but let’s see how this goes.