This is a dish that I thought I would never taste neither cook as always saw it with more than squid. Until I went to Galicia with friends and one day we ate arroz negro in a restaurant. I didnt see anything that could give me an allergic attack, although I wondered later on the day if they had used fish stock… but I survived 🙂
So based on that experience, I decided to try it myself at some point. And that was today. I found a video that matched my expectations of using only squid. I bought a couple of things I missed (nothing special) and already had the squid ink I bought online.
- 400g frozen squid rings
- 1-2 tsp of squid ink (or more)
- 1 bunch of spring onions chopped
- 1 pepper chopped: I used an orange one.
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped (I forgot to add it!)
- 2 tsp of tomate paste
- 500m of boiling water with a vegetable stock cube
- 200g aprox (or a bit more) paella rice
- 1-2 tsp of turmeric
- In a hot paella dish, drizzle a bit of olive oil. Add the frozen squid rings. Add a pinch of salt.
- Keep stirring until you have crust in the bottom of the dish. Not burn!!! Drop the heat to medium-low.
- Add the spring onions and pepper. Mix continuosly, dont allow to burn!
- Add the tomate paste and mix.
- Add the rice and mix well for 1 minute or so. Dont allow to burn!
- Add the vegetable stock with the boiling water. Add a pinch of salt.
- Add the squid ink with a bit of boiling water to be sure it is not solid.
- Be sure the paella dish is completely black (In my case I should have added 1 more tsp of ink)
- Add the turmeric and mix. Taste it! Dont move the rice any more after this.
- Increase heat to high for 5 minutes aprox. Be sure you move the paella dish to be sure the heat is spread out evenly so the rice is cooked everywhere.
- Drop the heat to medium.
- Wait until most of the water is evaporated. With a tsp, try a bit of the rice to be sure it is cooked. You should be able to scratch the bottom and get the extra flavour!
- Remove from heat, and let it cool for a minute. Ready to eat!
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp of vinegar
- 1/4 lemon juice
- Put all ingredients in a tall glass and use a hand blender.
- Blend and taste! Need salt? Lemon?
- Put in a bowl and to the fridge
For my first time, really happy, better than I expected! Just add more ink next time 🙂