After some time, managed to finish NLP. This is Neuro-Linguistic-Programming. First time I read about it was in The Game as a technique for picking girls. From that book, I learned only one thing, you have to go for it, everything else, it is just glittering, it doesnt matter it is about a girl, a job, whatever. And just several weeks ago, in a email from Edmond Lau, he mentioned he was learning about it. I have read Edmond’s book and it was good and most of his emails are interesting. But I dont think I am putting his advice into practice. Anyway, I was curious about NLP, and bought a book that had some positive references.
The first part made reference about our cognitive process: the part we are not conscious, the amigdala, the flee-or-fight response. Concepts similar to “Think Slow, Think Fast“. A lot of concept relay in “anchoring” positive experiences and increase them. I struggled with that part.
As well, there is another part about social interaction. That is more about body language and how to communicate and understand the position of the other person. These concepts are useful for negotiations. The Disney example is quite good. It seems Disney followed the below process, taking the role of each character one at each time, to define his new ventures.
- The dreamer: The one for whom all things are possible
- The realistic: The one who sort things out
- The critic: The one who picks up the pieces that don’t fit.
- Focus on RIGHT NOW: Something I am trying to do. Create small steps, complete, next.
- Imagine how good it will feel: This is something difficult to digest as it sound too “positive” but yes, I am think it could work. Based on the above, create mini-victories with each step.
- Breathe Deeply: Totally agree with this since I read the book from Win Hoff.
- Cheer yourself: I take this one too. I used to be too negative, but if you are honest with yourself, this is actually positive.
In general, it took me a bit to finish it but I think I learned a couple of things.