It seems this is a typical Australian desert.
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 250g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125g butter softened
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 tsb milk
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- 250g double cream
- 200g jam (any red berries are nice)
- 50g cocoa powder
- 200g icing sugar
- 80g butter melted
- 200g milk
- 200g desiccated coconut
- 1) Pre-heat oven at 200C. Grease a baking try
- 2) In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- 3) Add the eggs, one at each time. Only add the next one when is everything is properly combined
- 4) Add the flour, milk and salt until fully combined. Pour the mix into the baking try.
- 5) Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Use a knife and be sure it comes up clean. Set aside to cool down
- 6) Filling: In a bowl, sift the icing sugar and add the double cream. Mix with a hand blender until thick.
- 7) Once the sponge is cold, slice it horizontally. In one side, pour the filling (use a spoon through boiling water to help you to spread it easier).
- 8) On top of the filling, pour the jam, use again the spoon through boiling water.
- 9) Sandwich the sponge back together. Let is chill in the fridge while preparing the coating.
- 10) Whisk together the melted butter and milk in a bowl. In other bowl, sieve the cocoa powder and icing sugar. Bit by bit, add the cocoa/sugar mix to the butter mix. Whisk until no lumps.
- 11) Cut the sponge in squares, dip each square in the cocoa mix until properly coated. Then roll in the desiccated coconut. Put aside.
- 12) Once all squares are done, sprinkle some more coconut.
- 13) Let the cocoa coating to settle for 1h. But next day are even better!