I have done some lentils and beans stew before haven’t tried chickpeas stew “cocido” before. And I fancied a good homemade cocido soup! So as I had my last piece of cure ham in the freezer, I went for it. This is a proper cocido, but I used the ingredients I had at hand and the result was very tasty. That’s what matters to me.
- 1 piece of cure ham
- 1 chicken breast sliced
- 1 portion of chorizo
- 1 potato
- 1 cup of chickpeas cover on water from the day before
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt, pepper
- Paprika (pimenton!)
- Some greens: I used chard
- 2-3 handfuls of fideos
- Get a big pan, put all ingredients apart from the greens and fideos
- Fill the pan with boiling water. Put the pan at medium heat until start boiling. We want plenty of liquid for the soup!
- Reduce heat till simmer. Stir from time to time for 1 hour of so.
- Taste the liquid, it should have a strong flavour. If the potatoes, chickpeas and carrot are soft, we are nearly done.
- Add the green and fideos. Stir for couple of minutes until the fideos are cooked. The greens will boil and keep a nice color.
- Shred the ham so it releases all juices. Mix all together
All done, it is quite easy. And had a tasty lunch for the work week!