Another recipe where you can use puff pastry. For visualization, this video.
Pastry Cream Ingredients:
- 500ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 yolks
- 125g sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 1 ts vanilla paste
- pinch of salt
- glass sugar to cover the cream
- In a pan, put the milk to boil. Add a bit of sugar and dont stir it!
- In a bowl, mix eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla. Then Add flour. Mix all well. Add a pinch of salt.
- Just when the milk starts boiling, remove from the heat, and pour it bit a bit in the egg mix.
- Return the mix to the pan, and dont stop stirring, this is the key for cooking the flour!
- Keep stirring until the mix thickes up. You should see bubbles forming up.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter. Mix until all combined.
- Spread the cream in a clean tray, spread sugar on top so a crust doesnt form.
- Cover with cling film and put into the fridge.
Baking pastry layers:
- Pre-heat oven at 200C
- Cut a baking paper with the shape of your baking tray.
- In a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry in a long rectangle like your tray using the paper mould.
- Using the paper as a mould, trim the sides. Put the paper back in the tray and then put on top the pastry.
- “Docker” the pastry with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Using another tray, place on top of the pastry and push it so the pastry keeps flat. Bake for another 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from oven, remove top tray and check the pastry in golden brown and flat. Cool down in a rack before next step.
- Using a paper mould (rectangle) cut three pieces from your pastry. Use a serrated knife and be careful.
- Chop very finally left over pastry
- Assembling time. Take the cream from the fridge, put it in a bowl and mix so takes a bit of room temperature. Using a piping bag, fill with one cup of cream. Using your hand on the bottom of the bag and dont put too much cream. Use the index finger to roll the bag in the nozzle before adding the cream.
- Using one piece of pastry as the bottom layer, in the middle, make a line with the cream. Then two layer on top, and two bottom. Total 5 layers. Add another piece of pastry on top. Trim the sides of cream with a spatula or small knife, fill the pockets with cream.
- Using the left over pastry crumbs, cover the cream sides with it.
- Add the cream again in the middle pastry layer like in the bottom. One line in the middle, two top, two bottom. Add the final (be sure it is the best piece) pastry piece on top.
- Again, trim the side of cream with a spatula or small knife, fill the pockets with cream.
- With a shiver, spread glass sugar on top.
Ready to eat!
Doesnt look like in the video but it was tasty!