For NYE dinner, I planned a vegan menu for a couple of friends. I found this video about vegan chicken based on wheat gluten or seitan. I didnt know that product but checking online it was esay to find. I liked the recipe because it was quite complete with the mushroom sauce and creamy potatoes. All the efforts go to the author in the videos.
Vegan Sausage Ingredients:
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 1/2 cup of mixed dry mushrooms
- 2 tsp dried onion
- 2 gloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 150g firm tofu
- 3 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (+ 2tbsp for frying)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp dried sage (*I am not keen of dry thyme)
- 300g wheat gluten / seitan.
Vegan Sausage Process:
- In a blender mix all ingredients but the seitan.
- Then add the liquid mix to the seitan.
- Knead for 15 minutes. I was surprised how spongy was the dough! It wasnt very sticky so it was ok to deal with.
- Make a roll from the dough, like a big sausage, then cut in three pieces, or more depending how big is your pans.
- Wrap each piece with oven-proof baking paper, like a sweet. Then wrap it again with foil.
- Depending on your pan, put two or three pieces, cover well with water the sausages, heat up the water and let it simmer for 90 minutes.
- Let is cool down. Remove the foil. At this point, you can keep them in the fridge. For using a different day or carry on.
- In a hot saucepan, put 2 tbsp of maple syrup and fried a couple of sausages until the surface is caramelized.
- Then put in a pre-heat oven at 220C for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let it cool down a bit and ready to eat!
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
- 250g sliced chesnut mushtooms
- 2 red onion
- Splash of red wine
- Salt + pepper
- 120ml soy cream
Mushroom Sauce process:
- In a hot saucepan, add a bit of olive oil, mushrooms and onion. Add salt and pepper.
- Once the mushrooms start taking a golden color, add the alcohol. Wait a little bit until it vaporizes.
- Add the soy cream. Mix clean for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve with the sausages.
Creamy Potatoes Ingredients:
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of soy milk (use the coconut can)
- 2 red onions chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp say sauce (or nutritional yeast)
- salt + pepper
- 5 potatoes
Creamy Potatoes process:
- Put all ingredients apart from the potatoes in a pan, heat up at medium heat. Let it simmer.
- Pre-heat oven at 180C
- Slice the potatoes as much thin as possible.
- Add the potatoes to the sauce. The sauce should cover all potatoes.
- Let it cook them for 5 minutes or more so the sauce starts to thick a bit.
- Pour the potatoes mix in a ovenproof dish. Cover with a bit of baking paper. Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Then remove the paper and let the top to caramelize (I had to change the oven setting to grill).
- Remove from oven and sever with your mushroom sauce and sausage!
Although the picture doesnt look great, I have to say the sausage was tasty (it didnt taste like chicken) and the potatoes very creamy. I didnt like much the mushroom sauce because the thyme (so I have removed it from the ingredients 🙂